Get Involved with Hope Gospel Mission
There are so many ways to be involved in our ministry, including the volunteer and employment opportunities listed below. We are very thankful for those that come alongside us and help us as we help others. If you are unable to be involved in our ministry in the ways listed here, please consider adding us to your prayer list.
Shuttle Driver, Men's Shelter & Ruth House
All resident transportation is done using Hope Gospel Mission vehicles.
- We have openings for an on-call driver for the Men's Shelter and an on-call driver for the Ruth House.
- We also need a Shuttle Driver to transport our residents to and from their jobs one day a week. This opportunity usually takes less than 40 minutes and is a great way to get to know the residents.
Requirements: Must be at least 25 years old and have a good driving record. Must be dependable. Experience driving large passenger vans preferred.
Recommended Minimum Commitment: One day a week, M-F.
Bargain Center Team Member
This opportunity is great for families and groups of any size!
Serve behind the scenes at the Bargain Center and make a difference in the lives of the homeless and the environment. Through your help in this position, we can provide job training for our residents, recycle hundreds of tons of materials, and every year hand out over $40,000 in clothing and furniture to those in need. Duties include sorting, cleaning, recycling, researching, and merchandizing items for sale. This position is an incredibly important part of Hope Gospel Mission's efforts to help the poor and homeless rebuild their lives.
Requirements: Ability to work with little supervision, experience in retail preferred but not required.
Recommended Minimum Commitment: 2-8 hours a week.
Building Hope Team Member
Do you have a background in construction, plumbing, electrical, small motors, or recycling? We are currently seeking skilled help in these areas as we continue to improve our services. This position has a lot of room for growth and new ideas.
Requirements: Experience in any area mentioned above.
Commitment: We can work with whatever schedule you have.
Cook, Men's Shelter
Great for families or groups up to 6 people.
Come cook and share in a meal with our residents and see first-hand how you can make a difference in their lives!
We supply the food and the menu or you can bring your own. When you're done, share in the meal with the residents. Clean-up is on us. Meals are served at 6:30PM once daily. We recommend starting between 4:30-5:00PM depending on the number of people in your group and your level of experience.
Requirements: Some experience in cooking for large groups up to 20 people, good at following directions.
Recommended Minimum Commitment: One night a month.
Cook, Ruth House
A decent amount of cooking experience preferred. We supply the food and the menu or you can bring your own. When you're done, share in the meal with the residents. Clean-up is on us. Meals are served at 6:30PM once daily. We recommend starting between 4:30-5:00PM depending on your level of experience.
Requirements: Must be dependable and have a heart for the poor and homeless.
Recommended Minimum Commitment: One night a month.
We need someone with a passion for grammar to tutor some of our students at the Solomon Learning Center. More details soon.
If interested, fill out a volunteer application and our volunter coordinator will get in touch with you.
Bargain Center Greeter
We are looking for an outgoing person with a heart for the homeless and a love for people.
Our Bargain Center Greeters welcome and direct customers at the Bargain Center. Through training, they are familiar with the services that Hope Gospel Mission provides to those in need, as well as the departments at the Bargain Center, and are able to share that information with those who inquire. Duties also include organizing carts and, when in season, organizing the tent.
Requirements: Outgoing personality, good communication skills, good stamina (you'll be standing and walking for extended periods of time).
Minimum Recommended Commitment: 4 hours a week during Bargain Center business hours (9am to 8pm M, T, Th, F and 9am to 6pm W and Sat.).
FOR COLLEGE and POST-COLLEGE STUDENTS
As an Intern with Hope Gospel Mission, you will be involved in the exciting and challenging work of rescuing, rebuilding and renewing lives. Hope Gospel Mission’s Stewardship internship is not only meant to give participants the opportunity to learn about homelessness and poverty, but also give them the means to make a difference.
- Understanding Hope Gospel Mission’s Vision, Purpose and Beliefs (available at www.hopegospelmission.org).
- Understanding that Hope Gospel Mission has a behavior-model stance towards addictions, not a disease-model stance.
- Understanding that Hope Gospel Mission is an Evangelical Christian non-profit organization (see “Our Beliefs”).
- Student currently enrolled in or having just graduated from a post-secondary school.
- A desire to learn and grow.
- Excellent communication skills;
- Good reading and writing skills;
- High computer proficiency;
- Experience with databases preferred, though not required;
- Good listener;
- Willing to contribute in a team environment;
- Able to commit 10 or so hours a week (can be negotiated).
- Real-world experience in a Christian non-profit organization.
- Unique opportunity to learn and grow.
- Opportunity to take on and develop meaningful projects.
- 20% discount at the Bargain Center and Building Hope.
Please use fill out a "Contact Us" form on our Contact Page if you have any questions.
I'd like to help, but I don't know exactly how yet.
Have a great volunteer idea but don't see it here? Or do you need to talk with us to figure out how you can best get involved? No problem! Contact the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. He will work with you to determine how you can make a difference (and have fun doing it).
To apply at Hope Gospel Mission please fill out our online application.
Needed Donation Items
We are currently in need of the following items:
- Women’s One-A-Day vitamins
- Liquid body wash